Happy New Year! I hope you had a lovely Christmas and New Year wherever in the world you are and however you chose to celebrate. I chose to take the Christmas week off, and I take time off very seriously. I did take some time to make plans and schemes in my notebook and Dream Plan Do planner but I stayed away from my ever growing inbox and only switched my computer on once last week to send off a few of your orders throughout the sale. It’s so good to be back at my desk this week, I’ve been looking forward to getting back to work this year because I have so many exciting things planned for the year so far and I’m looking forward to getting started.
I reviewed most of my 2017 back in October when celebrating a year of self-employment, I didn’t want to repeat myself, so have decided to review my 2017 in numbers instead.
2017 consisted of 365 days, which was 52 weeks and 1 day, 31,536,000 seconds or 525,600 minutes, at which point, I start singing Season’s of Love from Rent!
At the end of 2017, I have spent exactly 10910 days on this earth and turn 30 in February 2018!
Now onto some more relevant numbers…
- 508 of you follow me on my Instagram account dedicated to design & illustration
- I received 8877 likes on my 265 posts on Instagram
- Compared to 2823 likes on 125 posts in 2016
- 50 of you follow me on my Instagram account dedicated to Wedding Stationery
- 161 of you follow me on my facebook page
- 843 of you follow me on Twitter
- 10.4k of you viewed my shop, which is an 116% improvement on the same time last year
- I had customers from the UK, US, Australia, Germany, Canada, France, Netherlands, Italy, Belgium and Switzerland
- There are 39 items currently in my shop
- I’ve received 61 five star reviews in total
- 201 of you follow my shop
- I’ve had 151 orders, bringing the total up to 311 sales
- November was my best month so far
- My Penguin enamel pin was the most liked with 89 likes on Etsy
- I sold 55 mini Penguin Calendars, 24 grid style Penguin Calendars and 24 Penguin Enamel Pins and many more in person
Possibly my favourite project from last year, and smallest at 25mm across
Website & Blog
- 766 views of my website
- 2 comments (I think one of those was my reply! haha!)
- 10 blog posts
- 3 wedding commissions
- 4 Portraits drawn
- 4 logo designs including my own
- 1 map commission
- 18 new card designs
- 7 wedding stationery collections
- 2 Penguin Calendar designs
- 1 soft enamel pin design
Do you recognise these two? I now offer a selection of portraits in my etsy shop
- 19 Jan – First logo job
- 6 June – Opened my Love & Lilah Store for my Wedding Stationery
- 30 June – First wedding commission
- 13 July – Changed the URL on my website to sianshrimpton.co.uk
- 24 October – First Christmas Card sale
- 27 November – 15 Etsy orders over one weekend
- 3 December – First solo Christmas craft fair
- 8 December – Started a 2nd Instagram account for Wedding Stationery
- 15 December – Sent first portrait commission
- I read 2 books (ooh dear!)
- Watched 39+ films and I don’t usually “do” films (This was thanks to having a Cineworld Unlimited card and making weekly-ish visits to the cinema)
- Goodness knows how many cups of tea and frothy coffee!
Taking a look at these stats and achievements has been so interesting. In some cases I’ve been able to compare them to last year and have seen improvement in places but not in others, which is ok. I know that some of these numbers aren’t huge, for example, there have been moments where I’ve fretted over the number of Instagram followers I have, but I think I only had about 200 at the beginning of 2017, so that is a significant improvement. Hello to you if we’ve found each other through Instagram over the last 12 months!
There have been times in the past where I’ve almost obsessed over stats like these and wondered why they’re not better in some cases but this post isn’t to do that but to celebrate where I’m at right now. Rather than worry about why I only had 766 views on my website and 2 comments, I can celebrate that I created 18 new card designs and sold a total of 69 Penguin enamel pins! I must also note that I could easily compare these stats with those of others and find that I have come up short, something that I regularly make a habit of but that isn’t the aim of this post either, nor is it to be a point of comparison for others. It is meant to be a fun little celebration of my own accomplishments over the last year, I have worked hard and hope to achieve more in the next 12 months.
2017 was a great learning year for me, it was a big learning curve after plunging into self employment at the end of 2016. I’ve learned a great deal and although I felt like I was making it all up as I went along for a lot of the year, by November and December I think I found my groove. Now I’m excited to get started on 2018 and look forward to all that it has in store for me.
I’d like to take this chance to thank everyone who has bought from my shop over the last year, who has followed along with the few blog posts I’ve written, if you’ve liked my posts, commented or even been at the end of a private message when I’m in a panic (and there have been a few times!) I really appreciate each and every one of you and I thank you from the bottom of my heart because even though it can be tricky business sometimes, I’m the happiest I’ve ever been and I absolutely love creating cute and colourful things that you’ll enjoy too, so thank you for allowing me to continue.
I’m so proud of these little penguin calendars. I sold a lot more of them last Christmas but I think the illustrations have improved ten-fold from the 2017 version…plus it’s not too late to buy one from my shop! 😉
Some goals & plans for 2018
I’m going to spend most of January this year drawing, painting, writing and creating as much as possible, to get all those ideas that are in my mind, down on paper. I like to call it “creating furiously,” I don’t think much of what I do is actually furious but I like to get loads of ideas down really quickly, then move onto the next thing until I have a selection of good ideas that I can develop further. In this time, I try not to worry too much about it, done is better than perfect. Only after I feel like I’ve got all my ideas down on paper, do I start to over think it all a bit too much!
Other plans/goals include:
- My word for this year is: Focus
- Stay off social media when it makes me feel down, when procrastinating and when spending time with others
- Read 12 books (or more than last year’s 2 at least!)
- Sew 3 projects including something to wear
- Visit a gallery/exhibition at least once every 2 months
- Yoga every day
- Blog at least once a fortnight
- Complete a 30 day creative challenge
- Expand my shop with prints & cards
- Start a Society6 and/or Redbubble shop
- Work on 3+ Wedding commissions
- Work on 3+ portrait commissions
- I added creating videos to my 2017 list, it might happen in 2018!
So that is that. These are things that I’d love to do this year, if I don’t reach some of them that’s ok. I’m sure I could add a few more to this list but I’d be going on forever.
What have you got planned for 2018? What accomplishments are you celebrating from last year? I’d love to hear from you!